Re: NEW PLIOSAURIDS A-PLENTY

Darren Naish wrote:

> Eventually we plumped for the old macropredatory generalist role -
> simolestines aren't huge as pliosaurids
> go (approx. 6-8 m in life) but were certainly big enough, with robust enough
> crania, to catch and dispatch other marine reptiles. Fishes, cephalopods,
> marine
> tetrapods, _Leedsichthys_ tail fins (??): I think a pliosaur, like a gorilla
> with a machine gun, can do pretty much whatever it wants.

Ah, an Englishman and his marine reptile.

Is there stomach-content evidence that the machine
gun-toting gorillas of the deep preyed upon other large
marine reptiles?  I've read of ammonites found, but not large
vertebrate contents.   Just curious.

By the way, for a nifty life restoration of Liopleurodon ferox, check
out:

        http://www.indyrad.iupui.edu/public/jrafert/geraths.htm

Cheers,

Larry
"Very funny, Scotty.  Now beam down my clothes."