Re: Evolution programs (was: Reevolving bones)

In a message dated 97-05-07 01:51:30 EDT, dalmiro@mesopy.obspm.fr (Maia)
writes:

<< A thing like Dinogeorge suggests is feasible, the big problem
 is probably the CPU time. Of course you would try something
 which is not a dinosaur but just a set of characters that could
 be used in a cladogram... Given my background in Physics I would
 have no problem in calling that set of characters a "dinosaur
 model" just to stay on topic in this list. >>

This is exactly what I had in mind. Have the evolution program generate an
"ecosystem" of virtual dinosaurs, hand the dinosaurs over to the
systematists, then see whether the trees the systematists come up with match
the trees that the computers constructed when they generated the virtual
dinosaurs. Even more interesting: Set the parameters of the programs to
generate trees with no reversals, lots of reversals, no homoplasies, lots of
homoplasies, strict parsimony, no parsimony, and so forth, and see whether
the methodology can consistently pick them out. Or see just what it does do
with such trees. This could go any number of ways...