Re: Reevolving bones?

In a message dated 97-05-07 14:33:12 EDT, jpoling@dinosauria.com (Jeff
Poling) writes:

<< Perhaps somebody could explain this in a little more detail.  The last
 time I checked, ALL theropods have a four toed foot. >>

Yeah, yeah. We're talking about using the first toe as well as the second
through fourth for walking on. Theropods, even the largest and heaviest, like
_Tyrannosaurus rex_, walked with only toes 2-4 bearing their weight. If
segnosaurs were theropods, then (among other reversals) they must have
re-evolved the weight-bearing function for the first toe, something no other
theropods, from ceratosaurians to birds, ever did.