New JVP issue

The new JVP arrived yesterday, and it contains a number of articles of great
interest to archosaur and dinosaur aficionados. Apologies for some of the
repetitiveness in these citations, necessary because most of them are from my
reference list in _Mesozoic Meanderings_ #2. The titles speak for themselves,
but I note new taxonomy in some of the articles. These are all five-star
papers(!), the best you'll find in archo-dino paleontology.

Gower, D. J. & Sennikov, A. G., 1997. "Sarmatosuchus and the early history of
the Archosauria," Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 17(1): 60-73 [March 1997
issue, published April 16, 1997].

>proposes monophyly of the group Proterosuchia as a sister group to all other
archosaurs, and more diverse than previously recognized

Benton, M. J. & Gower, D. J., 1997. "Richard Owen's giant Triassic frogs:
archosaurs from the Middle Triassic of England," Journal of Vertebrate
Paleontology 17(1): 74-88 [March 1997 issue, published April 16, 1997].

>removes a number of specimens from various British Middle Triassic reptilian
and amphibian species, including the possible holotype tooth of Cladyodon
(originally Cladeiodon) lloydii, into the poposaurid species Bromsgroveia
walkeri

Wu X.-C., Sues, H.-D. & Dong Z.-M., 1997. "Sichuanosuchus shuhanensis, a new
?Early Cretaceous protosuchian (Archosauria: Crocodyliformes) from Sichuan
(China), and the monophyly of Protosuchia," Journal of Vertebrate
Paleontology 17(1): 89-103 [March 1997 issue, published April 16, 1997].

>new species Sichuanosuchus shuhanensis described in the genus Sichuanosuchus
Peng, 1995; an extensive cladistic analysis of Crocodyliformes indicates
monophyly of Protosuchia

Bennett, S. C., 1997. "Terrestrial locomotion of pterosaurs: a reconstruction
based on Pteraichnus trackways," Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 17(1):
104-113 [March 1997 issue, published April 16, 1997].

>proposes quadrupedal plantigrade erect stance for pterosaurs

Jain, S. L. & Bandyopadhyay, S., 1997. "New titanosaurid (Dinosauria:
Sauropoda) from the Late Cretaceous of central India," Journal of Vertebrate
Paleontology 17(1): 114-136 [March 1997 issue, published April 16, 1997].

>new species Titanosaurus colberti described in the genus Titanosaurus
Lydekker, 1877, based on partial skeleton from the Lameta Formation; species
Antarctosaurus septentrionalis, recently renamed Jainosaurus septentrionalis,
made a junior synonym of Titanosaurus indicus because it seems to be based on
material of a large individual of the latter species; most material
previously referred to Titanosaurus blanfordi placed into Titanosaurus
madagascariensis; almost all other titanosaurid species are re-analyzed in
showing distinctiveness of Titanosaurus colberti

Novas, F. E., 1997. "Anatomy of Patagonykus puertai (Theropoda, Avialae,
Alvarezsauridae), from the Late Cretaceous of Patagonia," Journal of
Vertebrate Paleontology 17(1): 137-166 [March 1997 issue, published April 16,
1997].

>convincingly shows close phyletic relationship between genera Mononykus and
Patagonykus (their forelimbs are ringers for each other) and between that
clade and Alvarezsaurus, but seems perhaps less convincing (only 5 steps
difference out of more than 100) about the avialan nature of Alvarezsauridae,
which remains grouped above Archaeopteryx in Avialae; genus Parvicursor not
included, probably because it is too new

Zelenitsky, D. K. & Hills, L. V., 1997. "Normal and pathological eggshells of
Spheroolithus albertensis, oosp. nov., from the Oldman Formation (Judith
River Group, late Campanian), southern Alberta," Journal of Vertebrate
Paleontology 17(1): 167-171 [March 1997 issue, published April 16, 1997].

>new oospecies (eggshell species) Spheroolithus albertensis+ described in
oogenus Spheroolithus Zhao, 1979

Tokaryk, T. T., Cumbaa, S. L. & Storer, J. E., 1997. "Early Late Cretaceous
birds from Saskatchewan, Canada: the oldest diverse avifauna known from North
America," Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 17(1): 172-176 [March 1997
issue, published April 16, 1997].

>new avian genus and species Pasquiaornis hardiei (type species) and
Pasquiaornis tankei (named after our own Darren Tanke) described in the
family Baptornithidae, order Hesperornithiformes; indeterminate Ichthyornis
and enantiornithan material also described

and the piece de resistance, produced separately but bundled with this issue:

Witmer, L. M., 1997. "The Evolution of the Antorbital Cavity of Archosaurs: A
Study in Soft-Tissue Reconstruction in the Fossil Record with an Analysis of
the Function of Pneumaticity," Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology
17(supplement to 1): v + 73 pp. [April 16, 1997].

>This monograph discusses the evolution of the antorbital fenestra throughout
all of Archoauria in the quest to find a >function< for this cranial feature;
conclusion: --oh heck, why steal Larry's thunder; read the paper yourselves!