Re: A Tale of Two Tails [joke]

Rich Travsky <rtravsky@UWYO.EDU> wrote:

> Defense should not be thought of strictly in terms of breaking a
> limb (TRex leg in this case). A simple knock down may be all that's
> needed, the hadrosaur then utilizing this opportunity to run while
> the rex tries to pick itself up.

I'm sorry to do this, but I've been holding back for over a day now...
It really wouldn't take much for a hadrosaur to kill a Tyrannosaur.
All it would have to do is stick out it's leg to trip the beast.  Even
a little rodent analogue can accomplish the feat.  There's a drawing
of such an occurrence in the literature, so it *has* to be true...
:-)

If you don't believe me, check out:

J. O. Farlow, M. B. SMith, and J. M. Robinson, (1995). "Body mass,
     bone 'strength indicator', and cursorial potential of
     _Tyrannosaurus_ _rex_" _Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology_,
     15(4):713-725.

(If anyone wants to actually get serious about this and you weren't
here last year I recommend that you look through the archives of this
list first).

--
Mickey Rowe     (mrowe@indiana.edu)