Haddy Le Pew

J S W[oolf?] wrote in part:

ÒI don't think it's unreasonable to think that hadrosaurs had some other defense
mode.  Camouflage, maybe.  Intelligence, maybe.  Maybe they had skin toxins like
a frog.  Or sprayer glands like a skunk.  For all we know, they might have used
those crests to produce carnivore-stunning ultrasound pulses.Ó

I also considered the possibility of the skunk model, but one thing bothered me
about it: no one leads so carefree a life as Peppy Le Pew.  It generally works
so well that there is very little predation.   However, the fossil record
suggests, I believe, that Hadrosaurs were often a meal.  I also considered the
idea, ultimately derived from Louis Leakey, that Hadrosaurs simply had an
unsavory taste.  However, this succumbs to the same objection as the Haddy Le
Pew model.

Richard Dieterle