Re: Haddy Le Pew

On Sat, 10 May 97 11:50:20 -0500 "Richard L. Dieterle"
<Richard.L.Dieterle-1@tc.umn.edu> writes:
>J S W[oolf?] wrote in part:
>
>ÒI don't think it's unreasonable to think that hadrosaurs had some
>other defense
>mode.  Camouflage, maybe.  Intelligence, maybe.  Maybe they had skin
>toxins like
>a frog.  Or sprayer glands like a skunk.  For all we know, they might
>have used
>those crests to produce carnivore-stunning ultrasound pulses.Ó
>
>I also considered the possibility of the skunk model, but one thing
>bothered me
>about it: no one leads so carefree a life as Peppy Le Pew.  It
>generally works
>so well that there is very little predation.

There is very little *mammalian* predation.  Great Horned Owls have no
sense of smell, and they are efficient skunk predators.  Otherwise, we
would be hip deep in them!!  So, Pepe Le Pew isn't as carefree as you
think.

Judy Molnar
vlmed@juno.com
jamolnar@juno.com