Re: hadrosaur tails, a tail of two defences, or a hadrosaur! What a MESS!!!

On Sun, 11 May 1997 08:57:25 -0700 Stanley Friesen <sarima@ix.netcom.com>
writes:
>At 07:05 PM 1/19/96 -0800, Dinos=D8MP wrote:
>>A medium sized theropod a little away from the flock, attacks, the=20
>>hadrosaurs do not run AWAY from the predator, but directly AT it! ...
>
>Even if this might work, prey species generally do not do this sort of
>thing.  Given a choice they *always* run *away*.   I cannot, offhand,
>think
>of any exceptions to this.

Some prey will attack in defense of young.  Many prey (e.g., moose) will
turn and fight their pursuers (e.g., wolves) after a long run, and if
they are vigorous enough initially the predators will decide that
bringing this one down is not worth the risk of injury,  when a weaker
member of the species can be had.  It all depends on the relative
physical and hunger condition of the wolves chasing the moose, how many
wolves there are, how long the chase has gone on, and the physical size
and condition of the moose.

Judy Molnar
vlmed@juno.com
jamolnar@juno.com