Re: Titanis Article

At 09:28 AM 5/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>The June issue of Discover Magazine has an article (its cover story as it
>happens) on a genus of birds, Titanis, which are clearly related to Diatryma
>(although they manage never to mention this genus by name, preferring to
call
>the whole taxon ÒTerror BirdsÓ).

No, no!  Diatryma was quite different from the "terror birds" such as
Phorusrhacos and Titanis, which were gruiform birds related to the modern
seriema, and except for Titanis were South American.  Diatryma looks
superficially similar but belongs in its own order (Diatrymiformes), lived
much earlier and in North America, and may have been (depending on whom you
read) not a hunter but a placid root-grubber.
1825 Shady Creek Court