Re: lizard & dino lips (was: hadrosaur defence)

On Sun, 11 May 1997 18:40:36 EDT zenlizard@juno.com (Sam j hogan) writes:
>On Sun, 11 May 97 15:55:43 -0500 Richard L. Dieterle writes:
>(snip)
>>Never kiss a Tyrannosaur on the lips.
>Now, that brings up an interesting question.  Did they have lips?
>Lizards don't  (actually, their lips are there, but are very minimal
>compared to mammals).  Crocs don't  (again, mimimal).   Tuatara don't.
> Turtles DON'T.  Birds DON'T.

Yes they do.  We call them beaks or bills.  Cornified lips.

 In fact all of the living reptiles or
>dino decendents don't.  So, did dinosaurs?  Did some have them and
>some not?  Soft tissue doesn't fossilize well, but muscles for
>manipulation of lips should have attachment points on the jaws.  So,
>what evidence do we have for the existence of dino lips?  What would
>they have used them for, besides kissing?

Possibly what giraffes and okapis use their lips and tongues for:
grasping and manipulating leaves and branches.  Horses and tapirs also do
this.  But that brings up another point: what about evidence for dinosaur
tongues?  If they had jacobson's organs like monitor lizards, they should
have forked tongues.  But if most dinosaurs were more along the avian
line, they should have very simple, pointed or blunt-end tongues.  Any
evidence either way?