Re: lizard & dino lips (was: hadrosaur defence)

Sam j hogan wrote:

> On Sun, 11 May 97 15:55:43 -0500 Richard L. Dieterle writes:
> (snip)
> >Never kiss a Tyrannosaur on the lips.
> Now, that brings up an interesting question.  Did they have lips?
> Lizards don't  (actually, their lips are there, but are very minimal
> compared to mammals).  Crocs don't  (again, mimimal).   Tuatara don't.
> Turtles DON'T.  Birds DON'T.  In fact all of the living reptiles or dino
> decendents don't.  So, did dinosaurs?  Did some have them and some not?
> Soft tissue doesn't fossilize well, but muscles for manipulation of lips
> should have attachment points on the jaws.  So, what evidence do we have
> for the existence of dino lips?  What would they have used them for,
> besides kissing?
> -zenlizard, the only living reptile with well developed lips.Take a good look
> ad the jaws of any theropod, you will see rows of small
holes. Those holes where for the blood to get to the LIPS. Theropods
could have used the lips easyer to get the soft tissues when they where
eating. Another dinosaurs whith VERY BIG lips where Nemegtosaurus and
Quaesitosaurus, which has got such holes allmost all way up to the
nostrils!!!

-DinosØMP

Meet me, and the dinosaurs at
http://home.sn.no/~enrique/dinoklad.htm