Re: WHY "LOST WORLD" MIGHT BE GOOD

On Tue, 13 May 1997, Steven S. Lazarus wrote:

> Micheal Chrichton has nothing to be ashamed about in life. He failed in
> this particular occasion to produce something great. So what? Who's
> perfect? It's always easy to criticize the effort of others. Have you
> written a book?

I've written 18 books.  Some of them are decent, some of them I think
are more than decent.

That said, I don't believe you have to have written a book to criticize a
book, any more than you have to be a director to offer an opinion on a
film.

LOST WORLD is a bad book.  A -godawful- book full of contradictions,
happenstance, and idiocy.  M. C. is capable of quite wonderful work (see
EATERS OF THE DEAD, and THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY), but LOST WORLD is poor
on so many levels that it's painful.

I still have hopes for the film.  From what I've seen, it has only the
slightest basis in the novel.

Mark