Re: Questions #3

At 05:26 PM 5/14/97 PDT, you wrote:
>Please what are Gorgosaurus sternbergi and Albertogorgon?

Gorgosaurus sternbergi may be just a juvenile Gorgosaurus libratus.

"Albertogorgon" is not a currently valid name, but has been proposed on the
dinosaur listserve group for the Field Museum of Natural History (Chicago)
specimen of tyrannosaurid.  HOWEVER, the skull is not complete, and some
reports indicate that the skull roof (which contains most of the features
suggested as being distinct from Gorgosaurus and Albertosaurus) is all
reconstructed!  One of my tasks this year is to get some time with the
specimen and see for myself.

>I have also an idea. I t is about dinosaurian classification. Like you
>know, there are two main ways for class the dinosaurs
>(Saurischia/Ornithischia and Theropoda/Phytodinosauria). Both the first and
>the second are based on good proofs.

However, the second hypothesis has not yet been demonstrated by an explicit
cladistic analysis.  Not to say that it couldn't be, only that it has not
yet been shown.

>Sauropodomorphs are related to
>Theropods and Ornithischians. So I think that:
>1-There are three orders in Dinosauria (Theropoda, Sauropodomorpha, and
>Predentata (=Ornithischia).
>2-The first dinosaurs are not yet found, they were sauropodomorphs. These
>primitive forms evolved very early in Theropods and  Ornithischians.
>
>What do you think of this?

This is very similar to the conclusions of Bakker and Galton in their 1974
paper on dinosaur monophyly.

My personal suspicion is that the most primitive dinosaurs, when found, will
look a lot like Eoraptor, only with more primitive (typical, five-fingered)
hands.

>Thanks in advance
>Felix Landry

By the way, there is a character in a British Science Fiction novel (set
mostly in the Miocene and Pliocene) called "Felice Landry".  Given her
rather nasty personality, I do hope she is not a relative/descendant of
yours... :-)

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661