Re: WHY "LOST WORLD" MIGHT BE GOOD

Readers digest version: I did not like Chrichton's LOST WORLD. It is not a
good novel. I object to the criticism and characterizations of his
motivations in writing the book NOT to the criticism of the book itself. I
own a friggin' copy of David Keopp's screenplay for the movie LOST WORLD. I
can bear witness to the absolute fact that the movie is very dis-similar to
the book. I've discussed the movie with *Kel, girl dino writer (I adore
her), since she's seen it and we are comparing notes. Someday we will be
able to discuss what was in the script but got left out of the movie...

and Bettyc <Bettyc@flyinggoat.com> also wrote along the same lines:

>However, as you should know by now ANYONE can be a critque.
>I think that the LOST WORLD novel sucked.

Once again, I object to the criticism and characterizations of his
motivations in writing the book NOT to the criticism of the book itself.

Mark:

>LOST WORLD is a bad book.  A -godawful- book full of contradictions,
>happenstance, and idiocy.  M. C. is capable of quite wonderful work (see
>EATERS OF THE DEAD, and THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY), but LOST WORLD is poor
>on so many levels that it's painful.

Betty:

>What he did in the first book had better pacing, better
>characterization, better science, etc.

Once again, I did not like Chrichton's LOST WORLD. It is not a good novel.
I like the concept of the 2nd island being a "lost world" but not the plot
or the execution of the plot. Yes, I agree that Chrichton has done much
better work.

Mark:

>I still have hopes for the film.  From what I've seen, it has only the
>slightest basis in the novel.

Betty:

>But Kelly says the LOST WORLD movie is ok with her, so I'll probably
>enjoy the movie inspite of the fact that the novel was not one of
>Crichton's better works.

Once again, I own a friggin' copy of David Keopp's screenplay for the movie
LOST WORLD. I can bear witness to the absolute fact that the movie is very
dis-similar to the book. I've discussed the movie privately with *Kel, girl
dino writer (she's so cool), since she's seen it and we are comparing
notes.

The reason I am re-stating things is that I've said these things in the
posts you're responding to but you don't seem to acknowledge this info. Are
you guys not reading the whole post?

SSL