Re: Help - Gallimimus (fwd)

At 13.30 13/05/97 -0600, you wrote:

> Hello all,
>      This nice lady contacted me today.  I am in the middle of finals
>week and don't have time to do a well researched posting (as should
>be clear).  If you would help her out I would be very apreciative.
>
>LN Jeff
>O-

I hope this message will at least partially contribute to help the nice lady
and his studious nephew:
_Gallimimus_, whose name means "that imitates cock", was up to 3 m long and
3 m high and resembled rather like an ostrich, with long neck and beak
without teeth. It lived in Mongolia, during Cretaceous, about 70 million of
years ago. It was "born to run", able of a wide curvet and very speed, maybe
one of the speedest dinosaurs: about 50-56 km/hour, as a cyclist or a
galloping horse (50 km/hour is also the european city speed limit): to this
purpose, body was well-balanced by neck and tail. It had a light skull, very
mobile, with very large orbits (it had great eyes, but not stereoscopic
sight); the vertebral column had 68 vertebrae. The forelimbs had three
claws, that are thought to be used to dig the ground in search of eggs. It
was omnivore, i.e. it did feed plants, insects, lizards, eggs and little
mammals. _Gallimimus_ was very active, so it needed an efficient respiration
system: it is thought that maybe its ribs did compress air bags, that
operated as bellows.

Eugenio Spreafico

P.s. I wonder what the kid thinks about his homework: a tedious one or an
insight into a lost world. Of course I hope the second one and that he will
be catched by the emotion of the dinosaur-hunting, even by internet...