Re: Cladistics and names

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:
<snip>
 With the exception of the family rank (coined by taking a type
> genus and a specific ending), Linnean names did not have specific special
> clues in them revealing where they fit in the hierarchy.  WITH USE, people
> became familiar with the traditions within their particular clade of study,
> but the traditions were different for each taxon.

Ouch, right between the eyes.  Too much time in my own little area with
the same people looking at the same stuff.  The "with use" part is of
course true and I forgot that not all taxons work the same as the ones I
normally look at.  Tail firmly tucked between legs:)

Joe Daniel