Re: KICKING HADROSAURS

Rich Travsky wrote:

> I had envisioned this kick as a forward facing kick, not a rearward
> kick. A bipedal hadrosaur could stand on one leg and lash out with
> the other.

Jonathan Woolf replied:

"A question, if I may: how does a dinosaur with a large, massive,
basically horizontal body deliver an effective forward kick?"

This is precisely what bothered me, and why I suggested that they may have
literally jumped upon small predators.  This way they could get their feet out
in front of their body more.  I believe that roosters when they fight leap in
the fashion that I have in mind, as they too have rather forward leaning bodies.
That's why I asked (or meant to ask) about their ability to leap as suggested by
the anatomy of their legs and pelvises.

However, to deliver a backward kick, the animal would have to be stationary
since it is bipedal, and as indicated, the tail proves to be a problem.  Cow, so
I understand, kick out slightly to the side.  This might have been possible, but
I shouldn't think it would be anything but an emergency defense in case of
complete surprise form that avenue of approach.

Richard Dieterle