From: Brian Curtice <bcurtice@ic.sunysb.edu>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 07:06:21 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Camarasaurus and Brachiosaurus

> >I just have two short questions on the features that separate the
> >Camarasauridae from the Brachiosauridae?
> >
> >Isn't it something to do with differently shaped skulls?  I also think that
> to be classified as Brachiosauridae, a dinosaur would have to ridiculously
> long front arms in proportion to its back ones, like the one the family is
> named for, Brachiosaurus.

> There are many differences between the two families.  If Brian Curtice or
> one of our other sauropod experts has time, perhaps they could highlight
> some of them.

        Very little time indeed as tomorrow morning I'm off to Zimbabwe
for the summer so this will be my last post for quite some time.  As for
Cam vs Brach, look no farther than the neural spines, for Cam has
bifurcate spines, Brach's are not bifurcate at all.  Plus the cervical
vertebrae of Brach are looong while those of Cam are wide (Few things
amaze me more in life than seeing the C. supremus cervicals at the AMNH,
that things neckbase must have been as wide as my arm span!).  The
forelimb elements (esp. the metacarpals) are loooong in Brach (look like
radii they do) while those of Cam are shorter.  The pelvis of Brach looks
like a triangle from above while those of Cam do not (well, at least not
as much), no one knows what the B. althithorax skull looks like for sure,
so I tend to ignore any distintions there since basically nothing
confident can be said (but all of the latter is subject to change, heh
heh heh).  Sorry I can't go into more detail but it is time to leave the
Aerie...

BC