Re: T. rex skeletons

At 06:47 PM 17/05/97 -0500, you wrote:
>This is an abbreviated list provided by the Black Hills Inst. of Geological
Research, Inc.

I think there are some areas of this list that I would dispute.  If the BHI
gave this to you, you might want to tell them to update this list.

>No.    SPECIMEN        YEAR    LOCATION        AMT.    EXHIBITOR
>
>1.     BM-R7994        1900    Wyoming         13%     British Museum, London

The dentaries, dorsals, cervicals, and incomplete pelvis and femur probably
add up to more than 13% (what a strange number to pick anyway).

>2.     CM-9380         1902    Montana         10%     Carnegie Museum,
>Pittsburgh, PA

This specimen is the one on display at the CMNH.  The listing I have for it
in "The complete T. rex" says 50%, but I think that is high.  It is partial
skull, most of the pelvis and hind limbs, right humerus, gastralia, and some
vertebrae.

>3.     AMNH-5027       1906    Montana         45%     Amer. Museum of Nat.
>Hist., New York, NY

This is the most famous of the T. rex specimens.  I know that most estimates
of completeness are at least 60%.

>4.     LACM-23844      1966    Montana         25%     L.A. County Museum, Los
>Angeles, CA

There is seventy five percent of the skull and at least 30% of the skeleton
(again, according to Dr. Horner).  For completeness, I have skull (already
mentioned), cervicals, dorsals, caudals, ribs, gastrailia, shoulder girdle,
incomplete ischia and femur, fibula, and incomplete metetarsus.  This I got
from Ralph Molnar's 1991 article.

>5.     LACM-23845      1966    Montana         12%     L.A. County Museum, Los
>Angeles, CA
>6.     MOR-008         1967    Montana   40% of skull  Museum of the Rockies,
>Bozeman, MT
>7.     SDSM-12047      1980    S. Dakota       25%     S.D. Sch. of Mines&
>Tech., Rapid City, SD

Molnar's numbers are skull + 40% of the skeleton.

>8.     TMP.81.12.1     1946    Alberta         20%     Royal Tyrrell Museum,
>Drumheller, ALB

Molnar lists this as much of the skeleton, minus the skull.  Dr. Horner
places it at 30% (hind-limbs, pelvis, and vertebrae from neck to tail).  It
is the skeleton mounted at the RTMP.

>9.     TMP.81.6.1      1981    Alberta         25%     Royal Tyrrell Museum,
>Drumheller, ALB

The people I talked to when this toured through my hometown said that the
latest count was 40%.  Everything I read seems to agree.

>10.    MOR-009         1981    Montana         15%     Museum of the Rockies,
>Bozeman, MT
>11.    MOR-555 (Wankel)1988    Montana         46%     Museum of the Rockies,
>Bozeman, MT

Everything I have heard places this at 80%+.  I have never seen an estimate
so low.  It was fairly complete, missing half the tail, one arm, some skull,
ribs, and pedal elements.

>12.    BHI-2033 (SUE)  1990    S. Dakota       90%     Sotheby's Auction
>House, New York, NY
>13.    BHI-3033 (Stan) 1992    S. Dakota       65%     Black Hills Museum of
>Nat. Hist.,
Hill City, SD

The website that is promoting the BHI and stan is now listing this skeleton
at 80%+ as well.

>14.    DMNH-2827       1992    Colorado         2%     Denver Museum of Nat.
>Hist., Denver, CO
>15.    "Z-rex"         1992    S. Dakota       50% (?) Unknown at this date

The infamous place that Dr. Holtz listed, and had his nuckles wrapped for
his indiscretion, lists this as 75% complete.

>16.    "Bowman"        1993    N. Dakota       10%     Bowman, ND
>17.    BHI-4100 (Duffy)1993    S. Dakota       30% (?) Black Hills Museum of
>Nat.
Hist., Hill City, SD
>18.    "Scottie"       1994    Saskatchewan    50% (?) Royal Sask. Museum,
>Regina, SASK.

I spoke recently with someone excavating this skeleton and he told me they
were now looking at an estimate of 75%.

>19.    "U. of Wisc."   1994    Montana         10%     Univ. of Wisc. Geology
>Museum, Madison, WI
>20.    "County rex"    1994    S. Dakota       (?)     Harding County, SD
>21.    "Steven"        1995    S. Dakota       (?)     Harding County, SD

I wish there was a registry somewhere where this information could be
stored, for all finds.  It would also be nice to have a defined way of
estimating completeness.  I think it would solve most of these problems.

Darryl

"the truth is, I don't really care how the dinosaurs died.
I'm interested in how they lived."  (Dr. John R. Horner,
from the Complete T.rex, 1993)
The two most common elements in the universe are
hydrogen and stupidity.
dinoguy@interlog.com
http://www.interlog.com/~dinoguy