Re: LAMBEOSAUR CLASSIFICATION

At 08:59 PM 5/17/97 -0400, Tetanurae@aol.com wrote:
>One more thing, _Lambeosaurus_ should be said "LAM-o-saurus" since Lawrence
>Lambe almost certainly said his name like "LAM" and not "LAM-bee".  This
>extends to Lambeosauridae - "LAM-o-saur-i-die", and lambeosaur -
>"LAM-o-saur".

   From the Introduction of the DOL Translation and Pronunciation Guide
Overview and Instructions:

<P><B>Proper Names</B>

<P>Generic names that are formed by combining the name of a person from a
modern language with "<I>saurus</I>," "<I>suchus</I>," "<I>odon</I>," etc.
pose a number of problems.  The "ideal" practice would be to retain as much
of the original pronunciation as possible rather resort to the "sounded-out"
method or to treat the combination as a word composed entirely in Latin.
Thus <I>Stokesosaurus</I> (named for Stokes) is usually pronounced
stohk-so-SAWR-us, since the "e" is silent in English, and indicates that the
"o" is long in the preceding syllable.  The "all-Latin" reading would be the
rather less euphonius STOH-kes-o-SAWR-us.  Similarly, <I>Piveteausawrus</I>
would be peev-toh-SAWR-us, reflecting the original French pronunciation with
a silent "e." On the other hand, <I>Lambeosaurus</I> is almost always
pronounced LAM-bee-o-SAWR-us rather the lam-o-SAWR-us, although both the "b"
and "e" are silent in the English pronunciation of Lambe [lam].  It could be
argued, however, that Lambe's name was first latinized as "Lambeus."  Such
exceptions aside, the best policy in my view is to approximate the original
pronunciation of the modern name as much as English permits, and not to
sound out the name as if it were derived from English or were all Latin.

<P>This approach requires that the nationality of the person to be honored
be known, as a guide to which language the name was originally pronounced in.

<P><I>Abelisaurus</I> was named for the Argentine museum director Roberto
Abel (pronounced ah-BEL in Spanish, the "v"-like pronunciation of "b"
between vowels in many dialects of Spanish not being relevant here).
Logically, this pronounciation should be retained in the combination
<I>Abelisaurus</I> as ah-BEL-i-<B>SAWR</B>-us, instead of "AY-be-li-SAWR-us"
or "ay-BEE-li-SAWR-us" or "ah-BEE-li-SAWR-us" as suggested in some recent books.

<P><I>Maleevosaurus</I> is named for the Russian paleontologist Maleev
(pronounced approximately mahl-YAY-yef, with a softened palatal "y" sound
after the "l" and before the two "e's".).  The preferred pronunciation would
be mahl-YAY-yev-o-<B>SAWR</B>-us (the "v" being voiced before a vowel,
unvoiced as "f" at the end of a word).