Re: GARGOYLOSAURUS

At 10:19 AM 5/20/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi all.
>
>What's the current situation on _Gargoylosaurus_ please? And it is
>_Gargoylosaurus_ or _Gargoylasaurus_?

Dammit, this is all my fault!

I mentioned in passing the first three letters of this name.  Someone else,
not taking the clue that this name is NOT to be publicized yet, mentioned it
in full.

My apologies to the dynamic ankylosaur duo.

>I assume this is the same animal as
>_Gastonia_ but this is a big assumption and I haven't seen it printed anywhere:
>speaking of printing, has the name been put in print and if it _has_ - and if
>_Gastonia_ is the same thing - then why was _Gastonia_ rejected? Presumably it
>was preoccupied... so, preoccupied by what?

Two different taxa entirely.

Morrison ankylosaur B (aka Gar...) is from the Morrison.

Gastonia is from the (middle?) Cedar Mountain Formation (Cloverly equivalent).

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661