Herbivore protection

Rob Meyerson writes:

However, even with this confusing visual display, lions take down zebras
all the time.  It appears to me that there would have to be more to
hadrosaur defense than simply blending into the background (especially
if they were as abundant as has been reported).  So, here's the $10,000
question: how could a reportedly slow, fully-terrestrial,
hornless/clawless herbivore protect itself from a theropod who was all
teeth (or all claw if you prefer)?

I have a hunch that we are missing something crutial here.
==============

Why would a slow, fully-terrestrial, hornless, etc. herbivore protect
itself....? It probably would not have had that option. I look at the
herds of herbivores today and their defense mechanism such as it is and
it is sheer numbers. They reproduce and populate in such vast numbers
that the 'weeding' of the herd by the vicious predators does not
devastate the species. The fossil record gives some credence to this
thought in the large number of herd-herbivore remains found relative to
predators.
Bob Simon
risi@chevron.com