Re: I need some dates and references

At 11:49 AM 5/20/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>We are having a discussion the Evolutionary Theory Mailing List and
>someone is claiming rocks can not be dated (privately he wrote me that
>dates older than 10,000 years are invalid cuz there are no dating
>techniques that work)
>
>I am a zoologist, but I know we have dates going back at leat 4.3
>billion years in the rocks.
>
>Any geologist out there willing to help me out? And the list? I need
>some citations and dates about the oldest rocks on earth.

For what it is worth, you can check out the Frequently Asked Questions pages
on dating techniques in the Talk.Origins website:

www.talkorgins.org

or almost any introductory historical or physical geology textbook.

However, I strongly suspect the person on the list who is claiming rocks
cannot be dated is is Young Earth Creationist, and no amount of data to the
contrary (in my experience) is suffient to change a YECs views (but maybe
you'll be more lucky...).

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661