Re: I need some dates and references

On Tue, 20 May 1997, Thom Quinn wrote:

> We are having a discussion the Evolutionary Theory Mailing List and
> someone is claiming rocks can not be dated (privately he wrote me that
> dates older than 10,000 years are invalid cuz there are no dating
> techniques that work)

What is the basis of the claim that they don't work?  Radioisotope dating
is based on certain assumptions (so is going to work in the morning), but
these assumptions are pretty darned good ones. Just to say that there are
no dating techniques that work is not good enough.  If he wants to
shoot them down, he should back up the claims of invalidity.

Matt

Matt Fraser
mattf+@pitt.edu
Matt's Paleo Pages <http://www.pitt.edu/~mattf/PaleoPage.html>

                     Where you can find
 The Paleo Award, PaleoNews, PaleoChat, The Paleo Forum, and
                   The Paleo Ring Webring!

                 *Member of The Paleo Ring*