Re: New birdlike theropod

>A report in this week's issue of the journal NATURE describes the
>partial
>fossil remains of the most birdlike dinosaur ever found. [clipped]
>>"Unenlagia
>comahuensis," which means "half bird from northwest Patagonia"

A few more bits of information:
The skeleton was quite incomplete. The head and tail are missing.

The forelimb bones could fold up like the wings of a bird, according to Novas.

The rocks where the skeleton was found would not have preserved feathers if
they were there.

The paper in Nature and an accompanying "news and views" by Larry Witmer
are well worth reading. I wrote a short account for the issue of New
Scientist that comes out Thursday (see www.newscientist.com)
Jeff Hecht, Boston Correspondent, New Scientist