Re: Mesozoic rain forest/Bat 'brane

At 07:07 AM 5/19/97 -0700, MC2 wrote:
>...  The question then is
>whether gymnos, etc. developed the same canopied forest structure.

Very likely, given sufficient moisture.

The temperate rainforests of modern Oregan and Washington have a main
canopy of tall (*very* tall) gymnosperms: douglas fir, sitka spruce, and
several other similar conifers.  There is an understory of various
evergreen trees and shrubs (mostly angiosperms, but also including many
ferns).  And the equivalent temperate rainforests of Queensland and
Tasmania have an understory dominated by tree ferns. (And the canopy, while
mostly angiosperms, can be almost as tall as that of the North American
forests).

So, taking all of this into account, and adding in what is known of the
bennettites, it is not too far out of line to suggest a tall, dense
conifer/ginkgo forest with an understory of benettites and tree ferns.
>> brachio, uro, and pro-patagium
>
>Can't find a definition for this.  Is this the wing membrane, in its
>various locations re the body (arm, rear, front)?

brachio- = "arm-"  (as in "brachiating apes").
uro- = "tail-"      (as in "urodeles");
pro- = "before-"

Of these, only propatagium is not self-explanatory once you know the
underlying Greek.  I *think* it means a small membrane on the leading edge
of the wing/arm, sort of like flaps on an airplane.

                                          sfriesen@netlock.com