Re: Sudanese Dromeosaur again!

At 10:11 PM 5/20/97 -0500, Aravind wrote:
>A while back I had asked this question and received no reply. Can
>anybody on the list help.
>Further has there been an official publication of Baagaratan, if so
>where can I get it?

Yes:
Osmolska, H.  1996.  An unusual theropod dinosaur from the Late Cretaceous
Nemegt Formation of Mongolia.  Acta Palaeontologica Polonica 41: 1-38.

>A while back a certain Rauhut had reported dromeosaur material from
>Sudan. Can any one provide the exact reference? What does the material
>comprise of?

Rauhut, O.W.M. and C. Werner.  1995.  First record of the family
Dromaeosauridae (Dinosauria: Theropoda) in the Cretaceous of Gondwana (Wadi
Milk Formation, northern Sudan).  Pala:ontologische Zeitschriften 69: 475-489.

The material includes teeth and phalanges (including the sickle claw).

>Is there any overlap with the putative Hateg dromeosaur
>material which was recently reported by Weishampel. Is there any further
>unpublished material from Hateg which would suggest that the dromeosaur
>had some of the primitive features typical of the other island dinosaurs
>from the same formation.

Incidentally, the paper being refered to is:
Weishampel, D.B. and C.-M. Jianu.  1996.  New theropod material from the
Hateg Basin (Late Cretaceous, Western Romania).  N. Jb. Geol. Pala:ont. Abh.
200: 387-404.

There is no overlap: the Romanian specimens are skull roof bones (frontal
and fused parietals).

Weishampel and Jianu tentatively consider this specimen the sister taxon to
Saurornitholestes langstoni, in which case it would not be particularly
primitive.

>Weishampel et al believe that the fact that
>this dromeosaur is younger than in think most others may have some thing
>to do with the isolation on an island which allowed it to survive
>longer. Any comments on this matter.

Dromaeosaurid teeth (at least) are known from the Hell Creek and Lance
Formations, which are as young as the Hateg Beds, so there were North
American raptors of the same age as the Romanian ones.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661