Re: Hadrosaur defense

<< I assume that this tactful reply was in response to a query about
 hadrosaurs using their crests as defense.  >>

I have heard two "Theories" (Perhaps I should use the term "hypothesis" or
"Wild conjecture") about how hadrosaurs and their crests in defensive
posture...

Creationists state that the crests actually contained organs and bladders for
synthesizing, storing, mixing and ejecting highly flammable chemicals and the
necessary catalyst. By acting like a huge vertebrate Bombadier Beetle, the
Hadrosaur could flame any attacking theropod.  The creationists maintain that
humans witnessed this event, thus giving rise to the legend of the
fire-breathing dragon.

Hypothesis #2 (Infinitely more plausible, yet still HIGHLY unlikely):
The hadrosaurs had very strong lungs, and were capable of producing a call of
such volume that it was basically a sonic shockwave, a blast of sound that
would repel any attaking critter, and warning any other prey animal in the
region.

For what it is worth (Probably a laugh, nothing more.)

Regards,

Walt