Re: Dinosaurs versus mammals

> The basic idea that Jonathan is getting at here is the basic one we
> ecologists call "competitive exclusion".  By observation we have noticed
> that close competitors tend not to coexist, and that the incumbent has a
> major advantage in nature, as in politics.

But again, why dinosaurs first, or second, or why not now.  Somewhere in
here ought to be discussed the abilities of certain traits.  Also, the
notion of competitive exclusion is very fuzzy.  The term "close
competitors" needs definition.  Are zebra and wildebeests close.  How
about cheetah/lion; how close do you believe early mammals were to early
dinosaurs?