Re: SPOILERS: LOST WORLD Errors (REALLY, don't look)

At 10:29 AM 5/24/97 -0600, you wrote:
>On Sat, 24 May 1997 dunn1@IDT.NET wrote:
>> [...]
>> What about the errors in logic in the movie (don't read further if
>> you don't want to know), the biggest one being how the T-Rex on the
>> boat got out, ate the crew, and then locked itself back in the hold?
>> How did it eat the guy in the cabin?  How was a ship with a dead
>> crew guided back right to port?  Hmmm . . . pretty sloppy.  Loved the
>> movie otherwise though.

NEWSWEEK called this one a "howler", and it certainly was.  Here are some I
picked up:

1.  Why on earth do the predators live on one part of the island and the
herbivores on another?  Name me one ecosystem on the planet that works that
way.  Further, name me one island on earth smaller than (say) Madagascar
(where I'm going in a few weeks!) that could support that many large
animals in a functioning ecosystem in the first place.  The herbivores
should have clear-cut the place by now....

2.  The Julianne Moore character is constantly raving about leaving the
island in a pristine state - at one point she even says that not a blade of
grass should be touched.  She has also had experience in Africa.  So what's
the first thing we see her do?  Reach out and touch a baby of a large,
fearsomely-armed herbivore with its parents STANDING RIGHT THERE (I'd like
to see her try that with an elephant).  Where did she say she got her degree?

3.  So all these dinos found enough lysine-enriched plants to survive and
adapted to them within ONE WEEK after their lysine supplements were
stopped?  Gosh, I guess they are pretty intelligent after all....

4.  Could Pteranodon really have perched on a limb, I wonder?  And where
was its gular pouch?  Or "hair"?  Well, maybe Spielberg's right about this
one (and this was one of the few really first-class moments in the film).

5.  If T. rex can pretty much keep up with a jeep or a bus driving full
out, why can't it catch a bunch of people running away on foot?  And why
don't the people scatter, for god's sake? Or, as my son pointed out, why
didn't they shoot the critter with the automatic weapons they were waving
all over the place?

6.  Think about the last time you were out on a camping trip in the woods.
You needed to take a whiz.  How far away did you walk?  Behind the nearest
bush?  A hundred yards off?  Out of sight or hearing of everyone else?
Halfway across town?

7.  Our photographer character has been in more than one war zone.  He's
not stupid.  He knows his life is at stake.  So what does he do to his
chief guard's main line of defense?  Takes the bullets out of his gun!

8.  I am trying to imagine the scene at San Diego City Council when INGEN
applies for a permit to import a live adult Tyrannosaurus.....

9.  INGEN has huge helicopters capable of flying in heavy vehicles.  They
have a doped-up T. rex that will only stay under for so long.  So why do
they send the critter home by ship???

10.  What on earth was the naval destroyer escort supposed to do?  Possibly
the film's most ludicrous image....

As you can see, I thought the human behaviour in the film was considerably
less credible than the dinosaurs'!

All in all I thought the film was a great disappointment - the Spielberg
touch was really present in only a few scenes (the stego defense bit, the
trailer scene (best bit in the film, and the only real nail-biter), the
Pachycephalosaurus bit, the final shot) - much of the rest seemed padded
and forced - and too repetitious, T rexes and raptors basically reprising
their bits from JP1. The dinos were certainly great and very believable (if
not quite right, especially the oversize stegos and lizardy raptors) but
there was none of the sense of wonder I felt in the first film.  A better
score would have helped - JP1's music contributed a lot to its atmosphere.
1825 Shady Creek Court