Re: Lost World sauropod

In a message dated 97-05-24 13:54:31 EDT, range@inlink.com (Mark Sumner)
writes:

<< I was under the impression that the articulation of a mamenchisaur's neck
 required that it be held nearly parallel to the ground -- a distinction
 from others in the group.  But the animal in Lost World displays a highly
 flexible neck that is held almost vertically at some points.

 Is my information wrong?  (Always a strong possibility) >>

Back in 1987 or so I noticed that most of the Chinese sauropods have upturned
dorsal 1 and dorsal 2 vertebrae, giving the base of the neck an upward rather
than a forward thrust. These vertebrae are, however, artificially scrunched
into a horizontal position in most of the mounts I've seen, including a
_Mamenchisaurus_ that was displayed at the LA County Museum a few years ago.
I noted this at the time in Archosaurian Articulations #8 and asked Tracy to
restore the Chinese sauropods therein with as much verticality to their necks
as might be suggested by articulating the dorsals correctly. Near-vertical is
the most relaxed position for the neck, as far as we could figure it.