Re: SPOILERS: LOST WORLD Errors (REALLY, don't look)

At 03:07 PM 5/25/97 -0700, Jonathon Woolf wrote:
>I loved the raptors hunting in the tall grass, which I think is a very
>plausible way for raptors to have hunted.  The only thing I didn't like
>about that sequence was the one raptor leaping twenty feet in the air to
>attack.  I don't think raptors would have attacked that way, and I don't
>think anybody's likely to convince me otherwise. <g>

   It may be another homage.  When I took in a lecture by John Ostrom about
_Deinonychus_, he showed a slide of a skeletal reconstruction that basically
looked like the _Deinonychus_ was attacking something from above, foot claws
ready to slash and hands ready to grab and tear.  When I saw the scene you
described, this image flashed immediately to mind.

>I did _not_ like
>the incredible stupidity of Sarah Harding -- anyone who knows anything
>at all about observing wildlife knows that you NEVER EVER EVER get
>anywhere NEAR the lair or young of an animal that you're not *totally*
>familiar with.

   I didn't catch it at the time, but I agree with others that her little
speech about not disturbing a blade of grass, then doing that, is hilarious.
Not intended, I'm sure ... I think someone fell asleep on that one.

>I did get a kick out of the
>RB-clone, and I caught a number of the other in-jokes -- the Japanese
>tourists running from the T-rex, for example.

   Did anybody else catch the fact that the guy who got eaten by the _T.
rex_ in San Diego (he was grabbed in front of a glass window, then devoured
behind a car) was called "unlucky bastard" or something similar in the
credits, and was played by David Koepp, the screenwriter?