Re: K-T selection event

>On Sun, 25 May 1997, bruce thompson wrote:
>> But as to the survival of
>> mammals and birds, I think it had something to do with the fact that they
>> were seed-eaters and insectivores.  Cockroaches and plants with small seeds
>> obviously survived, and so then did the animals that fed on them.  How many
>> insect- or small seed- eating dinosaurs were there?
>
>Then what do you say to recent molecular-clock findings that suggest that
>_most_ modern bird families (and I suppose their various characters and
>dietary requirments) made it across the K/T?

        I'm not informed enough to respond to that information.  Does this
include the Mesozoic water fowl, such as toothed Hesperornis (sp?)?

>Also, mammal teeth were more diverse than you suggest.

        Meaning...?  Wouldn't that be an additional aid to their survival?

bruce

        "Dammit, Philbert; what kind of a lepidopterist are you?  For god's
sake,
man; stand up to them!"