Re: K-T selection event

On Mon, 26 May 1997 09:49:22 -0400 (EDT) John Bois <jbois@umd5.umd.edu>
writes:

>On Sun, 25 May 1997, bruce thompson wrote:
>> But as to the survival of
>> mammals and birds, I think it had something to do with the fact that
>they
>> were seed-eaters and insectivores.  Cockroaches and plants with
>small seeds
>> obviously survived, and so then did the animals that fed on them.
>How many
>> insect- or small seed- eating dinosaurs were there?
>
>Then what do you say to recent molecular-clock findings that suggest
>that
>_most_ modern bird families (and I suppose their various characters
>and
>dietary requirments) made it across the K/T?
>
>Also, mammal teeth were more diverse than you suggest.

Lots of angiosperms made it across, so why didn't herbivorous dinosaurs
too?  Omnivorous mammals also made it across.  I would guess if any small
dinosaurs existed during the late Cretaceous, they would 've eaten
insects, a very nice, high source of protein that other reptiles take
advantage of today.  I'm sure there were some small pterosaurs that also
were insect eaters.

Judy Molnar
vlmed@juno.com
jamolnar@juno.com