SPOILERS: Lost World Comments

Although I am not a professional paleontologist or similar creature, I
simply cannot resist the temptation to comment on some aspects of "The
Lost World: Jurassic Park"...

Before I go into my round of nitpicking, I should first say that despite
occasional perceived errors, I LOVED the movie, will likely see it five
times, and am very happy to see Dinosaurs on the cover(s) of every
publication in the U.S. this week.  Anything that makes people,
especially children, interested in Dinosaurs is OK by me.  One of the
neatest things I noticed this weekend (see next message re:JurassiCon)
was that it was the kids that noticed the errors first - and boy were
they quick to point them out! :-)

Now for my comments-

1.) OK, so Sarah Harding has been studying "predators" for years and
"knows what she's doing", right?  If that's the case, will someone please
tell me why she hung that bloody jacket out to dry in the wind like
that?!?!?  I think the most annoying aspect of this error was that it
wasn't even necessary!  It is entirely plausible that the T. Rexes could
have tracked down the party without the jacket- and it would not have
required the "dumbing-down" of her character.

2.) I assume we can all agree that Pteranodon was capable of flying or
gliding great distances?  How do they plan to keep the island isolated
when there are beasties that can so easily get off of it?

3.) Lastly, not really a complaint, but just a thought...it seems likely
that some other dinos managed to be stowaways on the ship and they ate
the crew.  Certainly the "compys" would be small enough to go unnoticed.
But, only a pack of raptors would have the attitude and appetite
necessary to pull off such a feat - assuming they could get on the ship
at all.  I guess this means something else may have survived and is alive
and well in San Diego...

4.) Some favorite moments from the film?  The behavioral scenes with the
Stegosaurs (protecting their young), the T-Rexes (protection and
encouraging feeding "technique") and the Compys (bite, poison, and stand
back and wait until it's too weak to fight back - a Komodo dragon
couldn't do a better job!)  Loved it. ;-)

William Bevil
Co-Chairman
JurassiCon - June 5-7, 1998 - Atlanta, Georgia
http://www.esosoft.com/evolution