RE: SPOILERS: Lost World Comments

I am not a professional paleontologist either, and I agree with your comments
below. However, I did not enjoy the movie quite so much, having read the novel
first. It is almost as though Spielberg never read "The Lost World" and only
recently finished reading "Jurassic Park." That is, many of the elements found
in the first novel (which never made it to the first film) showed up in the
second movie:

1. The opening scene in the movie where the little girl is bitten by the pack
of Compsognathus. This never occured in the second book, but was the opening
scene of the second.

2. The second film focused on a trek across the island, whereas a major portion
of the first novel focused on Alan Grant's trek across the island to reach
safety.

3. The "showdown" scene with the triad of "Velociraptors" (we all know that the
creatures depicted more closely resembled Deinonychus antirrhopus, but I
digress) was reminiscent of the closing scene of the first novel in which the
raptors quarried their human prey in and around the main lodge.

4. The attack on one of the mercenaries by the pack of Compys was indeed
classic, but never occurred in the second book - it was, however, how John
Hammond met his demise in the first book.

<begin venting>
Fortunately, I was prepared for the many differences between the movie and the
book before I saw the movie. And, I must say that I agree with your comment
regarding the revitalization of the interest in dinosaurs by the general
populace. However, I still feel cheated by Spielberg's "paraphrasing" of the
novel. Where was the chameleon-like Carnotaurus? Where were Levine and Arby?
Where were the discussions and observations of dinosaur behavior? It seems that
most of the book was deemed too intellectual(!) and complex for the average
consumer. Instead, we are treated to yet another romp through the jungle
replete with dinosaurs giving chase to screaming humans (could a mass of
hysterical human REALLY outrun a Tyrannosaurus rex?) The plot, as it were,
seemed to dissolve after the first half hour. And the Godzilla-like antics of
the T. rex at the end of the film was laughable.
<end venting>

While I understand that the purpose of this movie was to entertain rather than
inform, I felt like it could have been so much more.

CH