Re: Dinosaurs versus mammals

At 11:12 PM 5/22/97 -0400, John Bois wrote:
>Right.  So the gentleman's question is a good one.  And the answer
>needs to be addressed in an adaptationist fashion rather than some
>Gouldian stochasticist "It is the way it is because it is the way it
>is" answer.

True, the synapsids preceded the dinosaurs.  But the dinosaurs didn't
become dominant until the synapsids were largely wiped out in an extinction
(NOT the Permo-Triassic one - the Late Triassic one).

This suggests to me that competitive exclusion, and being "at the right
place at the right time" to take advantage of the depauperate ecology
following a major episode of extinction, are key factors in determining the
large scale success of a lineage.

                                          sfriesen@netlock.com