Re: Herbivore protection

In a message dated 97-05-27 03:03:56 EDT, Wabandco@aol.com writes:

<< So either we find a new defence for the hadrosaurs
 (as you suggest) or we reconsider T. Rex's behaviour / position in the food
 chain. >>

Not to jump in too precipitously, but is it possible that hadrosaurs simply,
to put it delicately, bred like bunnies?  If hadrosaurs clutched a very large
number of eggs in comparision to the T-Rex, wouldn't that keep the proportion
of predator to prey at a managable level without the need for elaborate
defenses?  Many prey animals of today (gazelles, etc) rely more on numbers,
speed, and the ability to scatter in all directions when under attack to cut
down on the number of successful predator kills than on bad flavor or
defensive weaponry.  Granted, I am a rank amateur but it seems logical to me
with the little information I have.

Looking forward to having holes poked in my theory!  :)
Carolyn