Re: Herbivore protection

At 09:48 AM 5/27/97 -0500, Brian Franczak wrote:
>Might it not just be possible that quadrupedal hadrosaurs could
>simply
>outrun bipedal theropods over long distances? ...

I rather suspect that hadrosaurs were only quadrupedal in *slow*
locomotion, as when feeding or migrating.  Based on their anatomy, when
greater speed was called for I suspect they pulled their arms back and ran
bipedally.

Such switching modality is known in living forms.  Many lizards run
bipedally, and kangaroos have *three* modes: "pentapodal", quadrupedal, and
bipedal, depending on speed.

                                          sfriesen@netlock.com