Re: K-T Selection Event

Wayne Bottlick wrote:

>... while it seems that the K-T extinction happens "all at once", I >would
>remind readers that it occured over a lengthy period of time... >lengthier
>than the existence of man, perhaps...

Perhaps not.  With tidal waves from the Yucatan reaching at least as far
inland as Arkansas, global firestorms, millions of tons of sulfur being
thrown into the atmosphere (coming down as truly acid rain), not to
mention nuclear winter, etc.--I think there is a strong case for saying
that most individuals, and not a few species, perished very quickly.
Certainly less than geological timescales.

George Lindsay