Re: Herbivore protection

Herd defense is both active and passive.  It is not just a
>numbers game although this is important.  Large numbers of a large
>prey animal is a deterent to predation, even if by packs.  Granted
>that T rex is larger than say a lion to buffalo, but that does not
>mean 100% kill ratios.  It could have been less than lions and still
>been efficient enough.  Especially considering the size of the prey.
>Plus, it is very likely that the speed difference between T rex and
>its prey was not significant enough to produce cheetah kill ratios(
>or wild dog either both about 70%).

>Michael Teuton MD

        Herding herbivorous mammals can travel with the herd within hours
of birth.  I've never seen anything to indicate that hadrosaur or other
duckbill dino chicks would have been similarly precocious.  If the
hadrosaurs were tied down to a nest during breeding season, then whatever
defensive strategy they used is mysterious indeed.  *chuckle*...I've got an
image of Maiasaura employing the kildeer defense--luring predators away
from the nest by pretending to be wounded.

bruce

        "Dammit, Philbert; what kind of a lepidopterist are you?  For god's
sake,
man; stand up to them!"