Re: Herbivore protection

At 12:38 PM 5/28/97 -0400, Scendan@aol.com wrote:
>I know that speed estimates based solely on fossilized remains and
>trackways is a bit dicey at best, but that not withstanding...are
>there any
>speed estimates for hadrosaurs vis-a-vis large therapods such as T-
>Rex?  Are
>the considered on average to be faster, more gracile, etc? ...

In the short run, it is unlikely that they were faster than T. rex.  But,
as has already been pointed out, an herbivore need not be faster in the
short haul, as long as it is fast enough to wear out the predator.  That is
it need merely be faster in the *long* run.

This is pretty much the case with modern predator/prey relationships.  A
lion can outrun a zebra in sprinting ranges, but quickly loses out when it
has to go beyond a sprint.

                                          sfriesen@netlock.com