Re: Flora ecologies in the Cretaceous

At 06:49 PM 11/1/97 -0800, you wrote:
...[previous snipped]
>Up here in coastal Washington state, there is a very discernable
>change in plant species as one leaves the bay and heads inland only 5
>miles.
>But that may not be the best analog.
Washington State offers the botanist a true glimpse of the effects of
microclimates on communities of plants.  In our local city forest lands (~
700 hectares), there are at least 6 distinct communities that I have
noticed.  Within a radius of 40 miles, I have semi-arid <30 cm rain/yr
conditions in the San Juans where one can find cactus species, to >250 cm
rain/yr with forests predominated by maple, hemlock and cedar.

Local topography can have a significant effect on the local climate,
although the regional climate may be *on average* significantly different.
I can't comment on the Hell Creek floras at all, but thought this might be
of interest.

Oh, and in keeping with the mission of this list, Washington State has no
known dinosaur (yet)

Michael