Re: Selective Extinction

Chris Campbell wrote:

> >      If the asteroid hit in or near the ocean (as it did if Chixulub is
> > the smoking gun), you can bet they would notice it. Imagine what an impact
> > and energy release like that could do to ocean currents world-wide.
>
> To the currents themselves?  Not a whole heckuva lot.  The currents are
> driven by the Earth's rotation, and I doubt the impact was big enough to
> do much to *that*.  The impact would certainly heat a fair amount of
> water (if it actually occurred at or near the water's edge) and I
> imagine that would have a significan effect on the waters at or near the
> Gulf; however, if I remember my oceanography correctly, the currents in
> question wouldn't mix much with waters outside of the south Atlantic
> gyre; sharks in Morth American waters wouldn't be affected, nor would
> those in Australia, Hawaii, Japan, and so on.  In any event, we still
> wouldn't expect much reaction at all from deep water animals; even if
> you heat the surface water significantly, the waters 100 feet down will
> remain as they always were -- a cool 4 degrees centigrade.
>
> Chris

 at the SVP 94, there was a paper (which I don't have a copy of but
perhaps someone who does might go and post the article's info-pretty
please) that suggested that during impacts in the ocean, that the DEEP
water currents could shift-that is, the surface currents and the deep
water currents of a particluar area of the ocean struck by a forign
object could swap, for however long the cataclysm might last, which
would certainly affect what was living in the surface currents, as the
deep ocean currents are not as oxygenated.  They also suggested that
this deep-water could travel as quickly along the regular current,
chilling the oceans' surfaces as well as smothering out gill-dependant
life forms.
--
           Betty Cunningham