Re: Selective Extinction

>Gigi Babcock or Ralph Miller III wrote:
>
>> Crocs are another case, too, due to their primarily aquatic lifestyle.
>> Fresh water fish, amphibians and turtles seem to have also managed quite
>> well.  Were the first surviving crocodilians large or small species?
>
>I have a vague recollection that the last time this particular
>discussion came up, someone (Paul Willis perhaps?) identified a
>crocdillian species that existed on both sides of the KT that was known
>from 18 foot specimens.  Perhaps the actual species name floats
>somewheres in the archives

Yeah, that's me, guilty. The croc you are after is Leidyosuchus found in
both Cretaceous and Tertiary rocks. Some specimens may have been 3 or 4
metres tops (18 feet sounds a bit extreme). However, Chris Brochu is
revising the genus and it seems to be a complete ratbag group that may be
split up. Stay tuned for more crocophile stuff!

Cheers,

Paul

Dr Paul M.A. Willis
Consulting Vertebrate Palaeontologist