Re: DINOSAUR digest 467

Well we're back on sequoias again.....I imagine it would be extremely
dangerous to try to knock over one of these, particularly if you are a
family-group-animal who moves relatively slowly...)we are talking about
trees up to a couple of hundred tons here., though why knock over the
biggest?)....they have a tendency to knock each other over in a domino
effect (just take a walk through any forest to see).
Surely it's more logical to suppose that young sauropods fed on younger,
smaller vegetation?

> > Brian, Betty et al
>
> if the tree is a sequoia, the roots can easily extend as much as 5 feet
> (that's FEET) from the trunk.  How much distance is there between the
> front legs and the back legs of a decent sized sauropod?  More than 5
> feet apart?
> If the front legs are pushing the tree, the back legs are not on the
> root system.
> Or the sauropod can simply move out of the way when the tree begins to
> lean far enough and make sure he's clear of the roots rising up under
> his tummy.

cheers, martin
Martin Human: TID Information Development Group
[33] 4 76 14 65 34
You are always here; it is always now; you are only concerned with this.