Re: Velociraptor

>From: Jack <jconrad@lib.drury.edu>

>In _Predatory Dinosaurs of the World_, Greg Paul put forth an
>idea which has largely been scoffed at, but I believe has a lot of
merit.
>He synonymized _Deinonychus_ and _Velociraptor_.  I feel that it is
>possible that this is why the _Velociraptors_ of JP were so large (I
think
>Michale Crichton even mentions Greg Paul as one of his influences at
the
>end of the book).

Say what you will about Michael Crichton, but I do not believe that he
is responsible for the Veloc-inflation.  If I recall correctly, the
Velociraptors in Crichton's Jurassic Park were about the right size, as
were the Dilophosaurs.  Spielberg used an absurd amount of license with
the size of both of them for storytelling purposes.

Larry