Re: ...elephants?

>Four NEW Elephant species!!!
>
>They are previously thayght to belong to Loxodonta and Elphas (and some
>may still belong to them!) But one indian species, turns out to be
>allmost skinned! And it is much bigger than the well known Elphas, it has
>a kind of Mammuthus topped head, and a strange formed tail, this may be a
>separate genus or species. A Pigmy elephant was previously thaught to be
>sick Loxodonta africana, but is now seen in big herds, of 1-1,5 metre
>tall elephants. This one may allso be a separate genus, or species. Then
>two Loxodonta, which may be new species or subspecies, which are a
>forrest elephant and a savana elephant. They are a bit smaller than the
>known Loxodonta. They are not yet described.

I am curious as to the source of this information.  Cryptozoologists have
been claiming for years that there was a "pygmy elephant" in Africa, but it
is now usually accepted that these stories refer to forest elephants
(Loxodonta africana cyclotis) which mature earlier than savanna elephants
(L.  a. africana).  It is true that some recent authorities have suggested
that the two currently recognized races of African elephant should be
regarded as separate species (see the October issue of BBC Wildlife for a
popular account), but that is about it.

As for the Asian elephants, there have been claims, also from
cryptozoologists, that so-called "giant" elephants in Nepal with large head
bosses represent a separate species or even a survivor of the extinct genus
Stegodon.  However, I have discussed these with a well-known elephant
biologist who has examined the photos and other evidence, and who is
convinced that these are simply large Asian elephants with no features that
cannot occur at least at times in other Asian elephant populations.

That leaves us with either the two traditionally-recognized elephants or a
split between the two African forms, for a total of three - all of which
have been well-known for a long time.

I would be curious to see any evidence outside the cryptozoological
literature that suggests otherwise.
1825 Shady Creek Court