Pipping

I've been reading list comments about the variations of adaptation regarding
dinosaurs. I thought it might be interesting to let you know about the
pipping muscle in ostriches. When the chick is nearing the time to hatch, a
very strong muscle is formed on the back of the neck. The chick uses this
muscle to break a hole in the hard, thick shell to be able to breathe air.
The lungs fill with air, the chick stretches its wings and continues to break
out of the shell. A few weeks after birth, the muscle disappears.

Deborah Torbert
briscobob@aol.com
www.outback-n-beyond.com