Re: Velociraptor

> From: Chris Campbell <sankarah@ou.edu>
> Mech's figures put the average lengths at 5.0-6.5 feet for males and
> 4.5-6.0 feet for females.  That's 152-198 cm for males and 137-183 cm
> for females.  I've never heard of a wolf reaching 8 feet in length (240
> cm)

I'm assuming there's a lot of tail in that upper number, too.
> > A small female wolf weighs about 40lbs and small male wolf  55lbs with
> > large male weighing 175lbs.  However 80-125lbs for both males and
females
> > is average so 50kg is right on average.
>
> Average?  You're kidding, right?  There are three places in all the
> world which have wolves breaking 120 lbs, and those are the Northwest
> Territories, Finland, and Yugoslavia.  These are true monsters; most
> populations have maximums on weight well below 115 lbs.  Based on Mech's
> figures (in _The Wolf_) the average globally is about 50-70 lbs, or
> around 25-30 kilos.

My figures were from the following:

Peterson, Rolf "Gray Wolf" Audubon Wildlife Report, 1986. Wallach & Boever:
Disease of Exotic Animals. WWF Guide to Endangered Species, 1990.

I was thinking of the NW gray primarily since I've been talking on another
list about same.

> Their main claim to fame is their incredible endurance (300 miles on
> foot in the span of a weekend; that's insane)

30-60mile/day is a lot for a wolf.  Too much energy expended although I
guess they can do what they want.  Avg speed is 5-6 mph although they can
go much faster

> Those jaws can shatter bone, and that lets them do whatever they darn
> well want with their prey (well . . .).  This is why I think a good
> analysis of dromie jaw structure is essential before we can make *any*
> speculation about how they hunt.  If anyone knows of such a cite, please
> send it my way.

Well, I didn't mean to compare them too closely since they are much more
different from Velociraptor than same, but I had never really thought of
them even being close in size.  As for jaw structure, you'd have to address
that with the experts.  I do know that a wolf jaw, bite and teeth are much
different and Velociraptor would have had to bite/injure/kill with a
different mechanism.

     Michael Teuton MD

The above reply-to is a spam trap.
Remove the hyphen prior to sending, please.